Sunday, December 12, 2010

Final Reflection on Technology Inquiry Wiki

I feel this is one of projects I have enjoyed most in this course.  I feel like I was very interested in finding the answer to my inquiry question (how can weblogs promote student learning in the elementary classroom setting?) and that is what made this assignment so interesting.  


Before my research I was very interested in coming up with a question that would benefit me and give me ideas for my future elementary classroom. Because I felt blogging was one of the greatest tools I have been shown in this course, I felt that asking a question incorporating blogs would be great for my inquiry.


Next came the research for my question.  I spent a lot of time researching for my sources.  It seemed many of the sites I visited pertaining to blogging gave the same information.  I wanted to make sure I had a broad range of ideas, so it took me a while to find multiple sources that I was happy with it.   


When I created my annotated bibliography I really felt the better it is earlier the easier time I will have creating my best practices later. I put a lot of effort into creating paragraphs that gave a great summary of the site or articles I used as a source in this project. I had to redo my APA citations a few times before they were correct.   


I also put a lot of time in creating the look of my wiki page.  I wanted it to appear professional, yet inviting and intriguing at the same time. It took me a while to figure out the font because I learned that wikispaces can be very touchy. 


It was hard picking out the best practices I wanted to use in my wiki.  I found so many great practices that a blog can bring to an elementary classroom.  This part of the wiki is what really taught me what I had learned though.  


Additional resources was not very hard for me to create.  I knew what sources were the best and would benefit the people who visit my wiki most. It did however take me a long time to figure out how to link something.  I had to google how to do it, and then it was simple. 


Lastly, was my screencast.  I feel because this was the second assignment that I was much more comfortable and smart creating my screencast.  I made a script first and practiced it a few times.  I timed it also making sure before I start jing I was under 5 minutes. I only had to redo my screencast 3 times, which was a huge improvement from the 75842894758 times I had to redo it in my first screencast assignment :)


I felt I learned a lot from this assignment. Fist, I learned how to better research and document my findings. I see how being organized in the beginning creates for a better experience later on.  And of course I learned how blogging can be very beneficial in my future classroom.  There are so many great benefits that a blog can bring to the classroom.  It can engage, it can strengthen literacy skills, it can provide communication, it can promote collaboration, and much more! Knowing all this great information is very valuable because it involves my future! I now know how to correctly use a blog in the classroom setting in a very affective way. By completing this task I also feel I am very comfortable working with Jing and creating screencasts in general.  I know the secrets now :) I intend on using screencasts when applicable in my future classroom, so I feel this task has impacted me greatly. 


Here's my screencast :) if anyone wants to take a look!

No comments:

Post a Comment